Thursday, November 27, 2008

Installing the go-oo variant of OpenOffice.org into Fedora 9 and 10

Go-oo is an "enhanced" version of the stock Openoffice.org suite from Sun Microsystems. I blogged about the differences a little while back.

To install go-oo on Fedora 9 and 10, as root do the following:

  1. Make sure your current version of OO.o is removed, to avoid any conflicts.
  2. Download and install this RPM http://go-oo.mirrorbrain.org/stable/linux-i586/GoOo-release-0.0.3-0.noarch.rpm
  3. For Fedora 9, edit your /etc/yum.repo.d/fedora.repo and /etc/yum.repo.d/fedora-updates-newkey.repo files, then add this statement exclude= openoffice* at the bottom of [fedora] and [updates-newkey] sections repectively.
  4. For Fedora 10, edit your /etc/yum.repo.d/fedora.repo and /etc/yum.repo.d/fedora-updates.repo files, then add the statement exclude= openoffice* at the bottom of [fedora] and [updates] sections repectively.
  5. yum install openoffice.org3 openoffice.org3.0-redhat-menus* openoffice.org3-writer* openoffice.org3-calc* openoffice.org3-impress* openoffice.org3-base* openoffice.org3-base* openoffice.org3-en-US*
Note : Due to some reason openoffice.org3-en-US* is required for starting up go-oo. A patch is in the works. If you are like me uses British English, you may add openoffice.org3-en-GB* to the list. Also I tested this on a 32-bit machine, so I am unsure whether the procedure for 64-bit is exactly the same as above.

Log off and on. And the items should appear in the menu, else reboot.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Your link to "the differences" is broken. You have it specified as http://http//slayachronicles.blogspot.com/2008/11/what-is-go-oo.html.

msian_tux_lover said...

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the correction. I have amended it.

Unknown said...

Tahnks :)

Unknown said...

I get the following error:

[egor@EGORSPC ~]$ soffice
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin: symbol lookup error: /opt/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/program/libsvtli.so: undefined symbol: _ZN13VCLXDateField14queryInterfaceERKN3coA3sun4star3uno4TYpeE


Can someone help???

Dito said...

Wow! go-oo is much faster than OO! And now I'm able to print handout even in fedora 10.

Dito said...

only one thing: where are ooimpress? oowriter? I mean the executables for the single applications.

Anonymous said...

Do you know Darkfall Gold? I like it.
My brother often go to the internet bar to buy Darkfall money and play it.
After school, He likes playing games using these buy Darkfall Gold with his friend.
I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many cheap Darkfall gold and play the game with me.
Do you know dofus kamas? I like it.
My brother often go to the internet bar to buy kamas and play it.
After school, He likes playing games using these cheap kamas with his friend.
I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many dofus gold and play the game with me.
I came to the bar following him and found buy dofus kamas was so cheap. After that, I also go to play game with him.

Anonymous said...

Have you heared about a game which you need use priston tale Gold to play, and you can also borrow priston tale Money from other players? But you can buy priston tale Gold, or you will lose the choice if you do not have cheap priston tale Gold. If you get it, you can continue this game.
Have you heared about 9Dragons which you need use 9Dragons gold to play, and you can also borrow 9 Dragons gold from other players? But you can buy 9 Dragons gold, or you will lose the choice if you do not have cheap 9Dragons gold. If you get 9Dragons money, you can continue this game.

Unknown said...

I wrote a shell script to install Go-OO on Fedora x86_64 since there is no yum repository yet. See my blog post:

http://jon-hermansen.blogspot.com/2009/05/shell-script-to-install-go-oo.html

Anonymous said...

For 9Dragons Cheats, 9Dragons Dupes, 9Dragons Gold cheats, 9Dragons Bots, 9Dragons Guides, and Walkthroughs click here