Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Goodbye 2008

Hmm...another year gone by. Year 2008 will be forever precious to me, it is the year that I :
  • Got married finally, as I was considered an "old" man by most local standards.
  • Joined OSCC and got to know a bunch of talented people and have learn a great deal from them, thanks guys.
  • Got more involved in the local OSS activities - although I have yet to contribute code, I am very much for the richer to learn from the many local community members via the meetups and IRC sessions.
  • Got to attend the OpenOffice.org Conference in Beijing - I am forever indebted to my Manager, Haris for his support in nominating and the Management in approving my participation. Being there I had the good fortune to meet and exchange ideas with so many talented and diverse people; it was as if a mortal has somehow been granted the privilege to walk among the Titans. I learned so much about OO.o (and the wider FOSS world) in that short few days than the 6 years I have been a user. Also, I felt snow for the 1st time in my life! It was awesome and I think went overboard a bit by runing around like some nutjob sticking out my tongue to catch snow flakes!
  • Bought the very nice E71 cell phone (after my old SE W850i had an unfortunate accident with the washing machine), my very first smartphone.
  • Finally managed to move into my very own apartment, it's nothing grand but it's mine and it feels good.
Generally I do not have any high aspirations for a new year. But I do look forward to more Linux being bundled with netbooks and computers on the whole.

Resolutions? Same as last year, to have the strength to accept and make changes, serenity to accept things I cannot change and wisdom to know the difference.

Happy New Year to all and have a blessed year ahead.

No comments: